;//'); define('UC_CHARSET', 'utf-8'); define('UC_IP', 'UC_IP'); define('UC_APPID', 'UC_APPID'); define('UC_PPP', '20'); MeiMei正妹交友論壇 - Powered by Discuz! Board Board logo

標題: Cheap NBA Jerseys Online usao0oxg [打印本頁]

作者: rftgtfw11    時間: 2018-8-20 04:13     標題: Cheap NBA Jerseys Online usao0oxg

By Leonard GildarieA significant number of our readers for this column are from North America…the US and Canada. It seems to me more and more Guyanese are yearning to head back home and own a piece of the country. Not a bad thing. We do have a rather beautiful country, but it is a work in progress.An example of laying blocks before the columns are poured. Note the workers filling the concrete blocks with cement to further strengthen them.They have been extremely helpful in extending tips on what to write on, either by sending hints or asking some rather searching questions. One of those persons is Hemwant Persaud, a US-based New York-approved home inspector instructor and licenced home inspector.You will recall in recent weeks we spoke about some ways that may have been wrong in building homes,http://www.soccerpro.us.com/Arsenal-FC/, including the manner in which blocks are laid and its relation with the columns or posts. We spoke of cavity-filling the blocks with cement and connecting these to roof and foundation using steel to strengthen the walls, creating fire-proof rooms. A lot of calls filled with queries came, especially from the ladies. Rather strange when you think a man would be more concerned about building practices. Forgive me ladies, times have changed.According to Persaud, while some of the suggestions made are excellent, it may be impractical in many instances for home builders and contractors to follow all the recommendations. I had spoken of the use of screws versus roofing nails to fasten the galvanized sheets. This may be difficult in some cases because of the absence of electricity, Hemwant said. Builders will have to obtain power by buying or renting portable generators. In Guyana, not much of a problem on the coastland, Hemwant.Contractors would more than likely have power from a neighbour and most of them have their generators. A number of hardware suppliers are now even renting. I agree in the hinterland that a power supply may be a problem.Hemwant also argued that while nails corrode in places like Antigua where the salt air may prove a problem, they have been used for many, many years to fasten roofs in Guyana without any major catastrophe. The correct sizes of galvanized or stainless steel roof nails fastened by a skilled and experience carpenter will last for years, he says. I agree. However, for some odd reason, we have been finding problems with our contractors. Most of them rush through their jobs. I have some problems with my roof. I am mad about it. It is indeed hard to find good contractors. I think the point here is that we still need to explore some options.The inspector also spoke of carpenters stitch-nailing roof frames, another age-old custom in Guyana which we need to get rid of.“Strong ties/brackets are recommended for framing, however the ties must be nailed with the correct size galvanized, stainless steel or manufacturer-recommended nails. If carpenters/contractor are going to use ties/brackets with regular iron nails instead of the correct sizes galvanized, stainless steel or manufacturer-recommended nails, they are better off discarding the ties/brackets and stitch-nailing the wood.”I fully agree. The correct materials must be used at all times, especially to ensure strength.Regarding the cavity filling of concrete blocks, Hemwant was of the opinion that it will be slow to catch on, because it will cost more time and money. I rather suspect this is the case, Hemwant. But I do believe that it should be explored. My reasons are simple.While Guyana is not known for hurricanes or even earthquakes, we are below sea level. We have been experiencing some serious overtopping along our coastland in recent years. The experts have been calling for Government to seriously consider shifting the capital to higher ground. I am worried that unless something is done to strengthen what we have, we could face some problems in later years. Building a home is a significant investment.Hemwant also wondered if there are building codes in Guyana and whether these may not need some updating – with the focus on strict adherence and enforcement.“I cannot understand why banks will not inspect home construction to verify that their money is expended properly for its intended purpose in compliance with building codes. Most surprising, I do not understand how all the new homes obtain insurance coverage without professional inspection.”The banks do inspect the homes to ensure that construction is in keeping with the drawings. However, to determine whether quality work has been done, that is another issue, Hemwant. Definitely needs some attention, though.But thanks, Hemwant, you have given us some food for thought.This past week, I was contacted by Habitat For Humanity, an international non-governmental organization, that is in involved in building homes, using volunteers and different partnerships since coming to Guyana in 1994.Now, I don’t want to delve too much into Habitat today, except to tell you that I am impressed. Because, it is an international organization, the building practices are grounded firmly in standards that are in keeping with best practices.The drawings for the proposed homes consist of 10 sheets. There is a contract available along with strict internal guidelines of what will be accepted as quality work by the contractor. But the discussion of Habitat as a case study, I will leave for next week. It is interesting what some simple guidelines can do along with proper planning.Be safe, don’t drink and drive and drop those emails as usual to [email protected] or call me on 225-8491 at Kaieteur News, during working hours.

歡迎光臨 MeiMei正妹交友論壇 (http://olginfo.com/discuz/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0