;//'); define('UC_CHARSET', 'utf-8'); define('UC_IP', 'UC_IP'); define('UC_APPID', 'UC_APPID'); define('UC_PPP', '20'); Cheap Jerseys From China rumzynku - 笑話專區 - MeiMei正妹交友論壇 - Powered by Discuz!
返回列表 回復 發帖

Cheap Jerseys From China rumzynku

By Leonard GildarieUntil I built my home over three years ago, as a practising journalist I would treat fires as just another story. After a while, unless you want to run the risk of becoming stressed or mad with some of the heart-rending stories, you have quickly got to learn the ropes of how to become “battle-hardened”. There are very few things that could emotionally move me now. I guess after witnessing gun battles, like the Eccles standoff with Linden ‘Blackie’ London, and numerous families in tears from accidents and murders,Cheap Adidas Shoes, it is a barrier that is built over time.There is a fire safety code that outlines how homes are to be built and the need for proper exits and fire-resistant material to be used.But three years ago, after taking a mortgage, spending sleepless nights, fighting with the contractor and then moving in and working to fix a number of flaws, I started see things differently. During the past week, two fires,Air Max 720 Sortie, one in Grove, on the East Bank of Demerara and the other at Ann’s Grove, East Coast Demerara, left a number of persons homeless and millions destroyed. From indications, it seems like many of the fires are electrical in nature.I can understand a blaze started by a kerosene stove. But one started by poor wiring is unacceptable. I have spoken to the boss of Guyana Power and Light Inc. (GPL), Bharrat Dindyal, and what he says makes sense. A few sparks in the line outside of the home may not necessarily be GPL’s faults. It could be two wires arcing in the home that is causing problems.Over time, the way wiring is done in the home has changed because of new laws. In the old wooden homes, the wires were basically on the walls, sometimes. I remember those big fuses in my grandparents’ home which would blow from time to time because of some problem or the other. Occasionally, a few strands of wire would be used in the fuse to restore power.Thinking back,Cheap Hockey Jerseys, I would hesitate at doing this now, in light of what Dindyal said. New codes insist that the wiring be placed in conduits or PVC pipes if it is to be placed in walls.And that brings us directly to the issue of fire and how important it is to build to standards. I don’t believe that there should be any, and I repeat any,Allen Robinson Jersey, cutting of corners. There are many brands of breakers, wires and other supplies available out there – some cheap, others quite expensive.Obviously, my electrical contractor advised me to go to the more expensive one. Without wanting to go out on a limb and make any assessment of which ones are the best, I would suggest that you talk to your electrician.Last week, we spoke of the building codes available at the Guyana National Bureau of Standards website. We discussed enforcement and standards adopted in 2005 for licencing of contractors, training and the possible acceptance of construction materials that are acceptable.FIRE SAFETYAnother standard that is published on the website is the Code of Practice for Buildings- Fire Safety Use and Occupancy. All new buildings or structures constructed were targeted to be in conformity with the code, which is comprehensive and 137 pages long. While the codes cover industrial buildings of every type, we will attempt to focus on what is said about homes.The first thing is that the code of practices does not really speak to electrical wiring, but more to how homes should be built – including fire resistant materials and the need for multiple exits for use of escape in case of an emergency. Regarding buildings that are described as “non-combustible construction”, the code says that these shall have walls, partitions, structural elements, floors, ceilings, roofs and exitways constructed of approved non-combustible materials conforming to the fire-resistance rating requirements – fire-retardant treated wood may be used. Buildings and structures of exterior masonry wall (concrete) construction will have approved non-combustible materials, of the required fire-resistance rating.“The floors, roofs and interior framing shall be wholly or partly of wood or of metal or other approved construction. The fire and party walls shall be ground supported, except for girders and their supports which walls of masonry. These shall be protected to exert the same degree of fire-resistance rating of the walls supported thereon; and all structural elements shall have the required fire-resistance rating.”The codes also speak of what will be accepted when floorings, roof framing and columns using wood are to be built, inclusive of spaces.Again, I must insist that the codes be read at the GNBS website, as it is impossible to replicate them here.With regard to the need for homes to have at least two doors to escape,Cheap Shoes China Free Shipping, the code said that building “applications shall include plans for each floor which show the layout, location,Byron Scott Jersey, construction, size and characteristics of all doorways, stairways, ramps, aisles, corridors, passageways and hallways leading thereto.”LIMITING FIREThe following steps, the code said, shall be taken to prevent and limit the spread of fires in a small buildinga) interior partitions constructed of timber or concrete blocks shall be carried to the underside of the roof;(b) ceilings shall not be made of flammable material;(c)  drapes, curtains, cushion covering etc. made of synthetic materials shall not be in kitchen areas;(d)  kitchens shall have an exterior door which opens outwards;(e)  all exterior doors of the house shall open outwards, but interior doors shall open inwards;(f)   all windows shall be opened from inside the house.(g)  stairways shall be one metre wide for persons to be carried down the stairs to safety;(h)  kitchen floors shall be of concrete and if of timber, shall be covered with a fire-resistant material. Stoves shall not be placed near material which is not fire–resistant. If this is necessary, protecting the timber with zinc or aluminium sheeting is recommended,Yeezy Boost 350 Cheap Real, as this would inhibit the start of fires;(i)  inspection of all electrical installations shall be rigorously pursed in accordance with theElectricity Regulations;(j) steel frames shall be encased in concrete, 38mm thick, as steel structures fail suddenly under extreme heat; and(k)  distances from boundary.So there’s more food for thought this week as we contemplate the measures that have been adopted and should be in place.We received many comments this past week. Thank you and continue sending them with any suggestions to [email protected] or call 2258491 on weekdays.
返回列表